Eco Modern Flats
Eco Modern Flats rediscovers spaces in a palette of steel and cedar to breathe new life into an otherwise banal, layered construction system. The four existing apartment buildings, constructed between 1968-1972, had great bones of precast concrete and split face block but were drastically lacking in thermal, environmental and aesthetic qualities. The entire complex’s presence has been transformed.
The stasis from the existing apartments and the disconnection from inherent site amenities required our thoughtful intervention of responsible, affordable design solutions. By creating elegant armatures that combine intelligent and low-tech sustainable design solutions we overhauled the living systems of each unit and heightened the livable experience. The existing topography and forgotten residual spaces between the buildings were optimized into various courtyard spaces as well as public and private terraces, patios and rooftop decks. Each of these spaces are delineated by a kit-of-parts panel system that combines the modern durability of steel with the natural warmth of cedar. The interiors were refined as blank canvases upon which people can insert their lives within the efficient 600 SF one bedroom apartments. Quality millwork, concrete countertops and polished concrete floors provide durable, clean and sustainable finishes complimented by a thoughtfully fresh color palette. A central multivalent wall articulates space and simultaneously serves the kitchen, living and bedroom spaces with storage, light and a 180° rotating TV module.
The communicative and decidedly simple design has reinvented this place as a sustainable living community ideally located adjacent to the University of Arkansas, Dickson Street Entertainment District and Downtown Fayetteville.
|photography||Timothy Hursley, Adaptive Creative (interiors) + modus studio|
- 2015 Chicago Athenaeum Green Good Design Award
- 2014 AIA Gulf States Region Honor Citation
- 2013 University of Arkansas Fay Jones School of Architecture Alumni Honor Award
- 2013 Student Housing Business Innovator Best Use of Green + Sustainable Design
- 2013 ULI Global Award for Excellence Nomination
- 2012 AIA Arkansas Merit Award
- 2012 Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce Sustainability Award
- 2012 Fayetteville Urban Forestry Advisory Board Landscape Award
- 2012 Green Builder Magazine Home of the Year for Best Community Project
- 2012 Illinois River Watershed Golden Paddle Award for Construction
- 2012 National Apartment Association Paragon Award
- 2012 USGBC LEED for Homes Outstanding Multifamily Project